Freeware Game Sites

Nicholas
Site Admin
Are you a spam bot?: NO

Freeware Game Sites

Postby Nicholas » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:58 am

How about posting here Freeware Game Sites where people can post their games, finished or WIP. I know(apart from caiman):
Nyphoon

R.I.P Rudy. You will always remain in our hearts and prayers.

LavaWave
Global moderator

Re: Freeware Game Sites

Postby LavaWave » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:13 am

I see gamehippo has been launched again, I haven't been on that site since it was down.

Anyway here are a few sites

http://www.gamemakergames.com/ (as you can guess by the site address, it is another gamemaker site)
http://www.acid-play.com/
http://www.demonews.com/

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:43 am

Hey, take care that its not gamehippo, but thegamehippo. Thanks Lavawave for your post.
Nyphoon

stellacyrus

Postby stellacyrus » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:28 am

Hey Friend,

Can we post our flash games on these websites for free.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:34 am

Flash games as in online games, or flash games that can be downloaded and played offline?
Nyphoon

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:23 am

The only site I'm sure of is GameJolt. Just sign up and add the game. There are also these sites, although they're different:

http://www.64digits.com/
http://www.hbgames.org/forums/index.php
Nyphoon

Aussiedave

Postby Aussiedave » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:43 pm

Well I guess I'll add mine. It's not up there with the big boys but hey, I was never into big.

Just on a side note, where are the Mods?? :^:
Keep on gaming !

Aussie Dave aka One Mad Gamer

http://freewaregames.forumotion.com/

Terex77
Frequent visitor

Postby Terex77 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:37 pm

Aussiedave wrote:Well I guess I'll add mine. It's not up there with the big boys but hey, I was never into big.

gone with the wind ever since rudy died two years ago

Aussiedave

Postby Aussiedave » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:12 pm

Terex77 wrote:
Aussiedave wrote:Well I guess I'll add mine. It's not up there with the big boys but hey, I was never into big.

Ya I realise that but this was a thriving little community and it has a good member base that visited regularly. This place can still be saved. All it takes is some effort and some actual game reviews.

Sad to see it go the way it has.

btw Rudy's passing was way more than 2 years ago. I still visit the Caiman site :)

Namo
Site Admin

Postby Namo » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:07 pm

Aussiedave wrote:
Terex77 wrote:

Ya I realise that but this was a thriving little community and it has a good member base that visited regularly. This place can still be saved. All it takes is some effort and some actual game reviews.

Sad to see it go the way it has.

btw Rudy's passing was way more than 2 years ago. I still visit the Caiman site :)

Hello.

Believe me, nothing breaks my heart more than seeing that both Caiman and its forums have fallen into such a barren state. This website meant the world to me. I still remember back when I didn't have internet access, I would use the public library computers and download a bunch of games from Caiman onto a USB flash drive (and at first, a floppy disk!) and then play them on my computer at home. I must have gone five days a week.

But the bulk of the community moved on years ago to Facebook or to other, thriving communities, and given the website proper stopped getting updates and with the passing of Rudy, it was a sad inevitability, and one to this day I wish I could do something about. But there are a number of reasons why I'm afraid this will never happen.

The first one being, as hard as Nicholas--the other Administrator--and I wanted this place to get back on its feet, we were (or are) just forum administrators. We have no access to the website's actual assets or code or anything like that, which means we can't add new games to the main website, or even new messages like the memorial one currently displayed on it right now. The only person capable of doing that is Ibo, Rudy's colleague. And it is understandable that he wouldn't have given us access to the website, after all, at the time I was 18 and Nicholas was I think a year or so younger, and neither of us had had any experience with web design at that point. Nicholas and I came up with all sorts of ideas to keep Caiman running, from hosting the website ourselves to just having new game release posts on the forum (auto-?)embed themselves on the website's front page. For one reason or another that I do not blame Ibo at all for, Ibo just didn't take to our ideas, and so the main website remained as it is now.

Secondly, freeware is kind of a dying breed. I wouldn't say it's completely on its way out, but compared to Caiman's heyday, freeware releases are sparse. The last notable one I can recall is Treasure Adventure Game, which now has a commercial remake in the form of Treasure Adventure World, and that's a good segue into my point--developers are simply releasing more games commercially now, and on all sorts of platforms now that releasing games on consoles is easier than ever. Which, personally, I think is great. Game development is hard work and people absolutely deserve payment for it, and now they can get exposure on a variety of platforms. The flipside of that coin however is that it's bad for websites focused on writing about or distributing PC freeware games. Even if Caiman had kept running all this time without a hitch, it would have eventually slowed down to the halt it's at now. It's painful to say that, but it's the truth, unfortunately.

Thirdly, hindsight comes into play. I must admit I've fallen out of contact with Nicholas, but with the knowledge I have now, I don't think he and I would have been able to run Caiman or a freeware website in general even if we were given the chance. Since my most recent post here in 2013, my life has kind of taken several huge turns and I've run into several obstacles that have prevented me from making progress in my own hobbies and pursuits, let alone allowing me to work for or contribute to a website like this. I don't really want to divulge details, but suffice it to say, had Ibo gone forward with any of Nicholas and I's plans to keep this website running, the weight would've eventually been shouldered entirely onto Nicholas very shortly afterward.

:sighs:

Anyway, I popped into Caifox to see if people were still here and posting, and it does warm my heart a little to see a few of you have stuck around. After 2+ years of silence I figured it was only fair to let the few of you know what happened. This post isn't me returning to this forum or anything, just me saying what's up. Thanks for sticking around, everyone. It means a lot to me, and I'm sure it means a lot to Nicholas too. And I'm absolutely sure it would have meant a lot to Rudy.

Return to “General posts about games”