Thinking about switching back to Game Maker

LavaWave
Global moderator
Are you a spam bot?: NO

Thinking about switching back to Game Maker

Postby LavaWave » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:12 pm

I've used Construct as of lately to create prototypes and experimental games, while it is great in the HD graphics and effects department I'd have to say it does not fit for a fully game creation program, I used to use Game Maker for creating the ZoniK series and E.V.E X (Amongst other games) and Construct has been giving me errors lately and am not feeling to comfortable with it's interface since I am more familiar with GM then Construct, however this time I will tend to use GML over DnD that my past games used. (not that I am coder tough or am gonna use Visual C++ to make a game, I always prefer game creation programs to make my games since they have most of the stuff ready alas with programming tools it requires to make a whole engine and demands more time)

Now my experience with Construct started great and fun while creating small experimental programs but it didn't felt so great when I tried to create overly large games, I think Game Maker does the job better for that, I recently read on the forums that Construct 2 is going to be shareware, I am interested to see how far powerful and what platforms will Construct 2 will export games on, so far I read it will have html5 technology (Which coincidentally Game Maker 5 also stated it will use HTML5 recently, See here http://gamemakerblog.com/2011/02/25/htm ... ase-video/)

But until then I think I will stick to Game Maker.

btw for those who tried Clickteam products (specifically TGF2/MMF2(Dev)) how good are they? I never tried them but are they good? from the looks of them they are what inspired Construct to be created as they look somewhat similar.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Re: Thinking about switching back to Game Maker

Postby Nicholas » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:57 pm

Now this is a good excuse to start teasing Namo with :eyebrows:
Nyphoon

R.I.P Rudy. You will always remain in our hearts and prayers.

Namo
Site Admin

Postby Namo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:44 pm

MMF2 is extremely versatile. I'd recommend it if money (or piracy) is no object.

It also natively can build in Java, there's an addon to build in Flash, and has its own Browser language called Vitalize. The best part is you don't have to put it on a specific website to have it play, unlike YoYo Games.

In my experiences, its also much easier to learn by doing than reading, unlike Game Maker. I figured out how to work the GUI in MMF2 in less than a day, in Game Maker it took me much longer.

LavaWave
Global moderator

Postby LavaWave » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:02 pm

There is another site that Game Maker games can play online (in a similar manner of yoyogames) tough I forgot what it's called.

In the current stasis, MMF2 seems to be better then Game Maker in many ways, it has the flash plug-in and HWA which Game Maker as of yet has none of these (however it has Iphone support as well, atleast a few games off yoyogames have been made playable on Iphone/Ipod most notably Karoshi)

I don't get what's with Yoyogames, they don't want to make the Iphone/Ipod export to the public, it could benefit the game developers alot I believe but yoyogames don't feel in the state to make it public yet, I hope they soon will release it for the public tough.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:10 pm

@Lavawave, I don't think stability is an issue. You have got to admit, YoYoGames is fairly professional, and I know of no professional companies who brought out a game which is unstable, and I doubt that YoYoGames are doing that. I remember when they first said that they were going to make games portable to Ipods etc... and said they would tell people how in two weeks time. That time frame has now elapsed, and I doubt if we will get to know. To me, they are simply trying to gain an advantage. Maybe I am wrong, and they will implement it in the next version of Game Maker.
Nyphoon

Namo
Site Admin

Postby Namo » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:59 am

Professional? Ha! :lmfao:

On the subject of browser games, the browser games made with MMF2 also work on the iPhone and iPad, as well as the Android and Blackberry, just so long as the games are programmed with the devices in mind.

LavaWave
Global moderator

Postby LavaWave » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:53 pm

The thing to concern about MMF2 and Developer version are their prices, MMF2 standard edition costs 149.00 Euros, no wait, it's with the included .swf exporter, without it it simply costs 99.00 Euros (it still looks quite high for a simple development tool but acceptable) the Developer version cost 299.00 but with .swf export it cots 349.00, now I could go for the standard edition without .swf exporter but the problem is is it worth using the standard over developer? is it still powerful enough for most games or are there some limits that developer doesn't have? from what I read Developer is aimed towards people who want to sell their games (as it has trial period plug-in which standard doesn't have) and I am not aiming to make shareware games.

Game Maker costs a measly 18 Euro, According to the converter here http://www.trueknowledge.com/q/what_is_$25_in_euro (I already have Game Maker tough)

If Clickteam intend to sell the Developer versions of their products to serious game developers and standard version is intended to be for the regular hobbyist then I understand that.

Namo
Site Admin

Postby Namo » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:37 pm

I will say this - on the comparison page, there is a list of things that MMF2 Developer can do that the standard cannot.

And there is a third-party work around for each of those things.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:50 pm

Well, being practical, and seeing as LavaWave is at Uni, I think he should stick for a while to Game Maker if he is too busy. Learning new things will only make things harder.
Nyphoon

LavaWave
Global moderator

Postby LavaWave » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:09 am

Now that I''ve been thinking, I think I'l stick to Construct a bit more, that is maybe until the upcoming GM9 hopefully it will have HD graphics and power and then I'l think about keep using Construct or GM9, I just tried the demo of MMF2 and it's a whole new thing, I couldn't be bothered to practice with it right now.

Return to “General posts about games”