Sonic 4: Episode 1 (FULL REVIEW)

ClaytonPoweredUp
Caiman Moderator
Are you a spam bot?: NO

Sonic 4: Episode 1 (FULL REVIEW)

Postby ClaytonPoweredUp » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:02 pm

Alright, hello everyone, After pretty much finishing the game (Gah.. Last emerald..)

Anyways, Sonic 4: Episode 1 was released on X-box Live Arcade, Playstaion Network and Wii Ware for about 10 dollars (American)

First Impression: I wasn't overly impressed with Sonic 4, mostly because of it only having 4 acts. But instead of having a liner style game play it takes on a more MegaMan approach with picking from Zone 2, 3 and 4 (After beating Zone 1) That kinda shocked me to be honest and this is coming from a .. well EX Die hard Sonic Fan who has beaten all of them except Sonic 06 (I own it... yes... I do...) and Sonic Unleashed because of the medallions.

Sound: Sonic games usually have wonderful music but there were only 3 songs I liked in this game and those were, The main theme, Zone 3 and Zone 4. The sound effects in this game are just ripped from other Sonic games (Little to none are original).

Graphics: The graphics are quite good.. but there is... ONE.. small problem.. WHY IS SONIC SO SHINY!? I cant stand shiny Sonic models they look horrible, I haven't played the wii or Ps3 version so I cant compare it to those but man... I hate shiny sonic..

Gameplay: The game plays quite fine, I haven't experienced any slow down and it does a fair job of replicating the old games but adding in the homing attack for a nice blend of the old Sonic and new but something just feels off... I'm not sure what it is though. I also noticed the alot of the levels are half @$$ed remakes of old Sonic Games.

Difficulty: The game is quite easy and new gamers should have no problem picking it up.. but the special stages... They are straight.. from hell... and are quite unforgiving. You are going to be replaying a level to get that last Chaos Emerald soooo many times you will brake your controller...

Story: There is None

Over All: Sonic 4: Episode 1 is an enjoyable game but is not worth the price, so over all I'm giving Sonic 4:Episode 1 a 6/10.

Side Notes: Fans of the Sonic Series (Retro) Will love this game but might feel ripped off (like me) That it is only 4 zones long. IN my opinion your better off buying any of the classic Sonic games, they're cheaper and are pretty much the same game, just longer and with better music, I enjoyed it but seriously 1200 microsoft points? The game is worth 800 at the most.
I wanna be the one who fights for justice, I wanna be the one who fights for whats right!

Namo
Site Admin

Re: Sonic 4: Episode 1 (FULL REVIEW)

Postby Namo » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:51 pm

Again, the physics in Sonic 4 are TOTALLY DIFFERENT from the predecessors. Go compare them. In Sonic 4, the momentum is supplied by button presses rather than physics.

Also, Canada and America have the same monetary value on downloadable games. The price is 15 dollars.

ClaytonPoweredUp
Caiman Moderator

Postby ClaytonPoweredUp » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:22 pm

The physics are pretty much the same, except you can stand on a wall. And what? no no The momentum is gained by walking... just like in every sonic game (excluding the wii saga and Sonic Unleashed)
I wanna be the one who fights for justice, I wanna be the one who fights for whats right!

Namo
Site Admin

Postby Namo » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:32 am

That's what I said. The momentum is gained by walking (holding down a button). In the previous games, if you stood on a hill and rolled down it, you'd keep rolling to the bottom, continually gaining speed even if you weren't holding a button. This was due to the fact that they used variables in the programming back then. In Sonic 4, if you try the same, you stop midway, unless you're holding down the button. This is because Sonic 4 uses fixed values.

I know my stuff. I'll be prepared to back up my statements with comparison videos if you'd like.

ClaytonPoweredUp
Caiman Moderator

Postby ClaytonPoweredUp » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:07 pm

The game still basically plays the same, and it IS ridiculous that you can just stand on walls. It IS a good game, Im not saying its a bad game.,

Return to “General posts about games”