Freeware Game Sites

Aussiedave
Are you a spam bot?: NO

Re: Freeware Game Sites

Postby Aussiedave » Thu May 21, 2015 6:49 pm

What I meant Namo was some game reviews here at CaiFox. You have the hosting and the .com. I won't bring it up any more.

I remember the day when I bought my first real computer second hand. I think it had 2 or 4mb RAM, 20mb hard drive and a 5.25 inch floppy drive, an orange monochrome monitor and I had to install DOS operating system. It was big and noisy. Later on I managed to pick up a 3.5inch floppy drive and then installed windows 3 on it and a free game called Ski Free. I thought it was the best thing ever. Just before that it was BASIC programing language on the Commodore home computer. A modem back then was only a pipe dream and way too expensive.

Now that's showing my age... :o

Namo
Site Admin

Postby Namo » Mon May 25, 2015 12:37 pm

Aussiedave wrote:What I meant Namo was some game reviews here at CaiFox. You have the hosting and the .com. I won't bring it up any more.

No, no, it's fine. Whether we put them on the main site of this forum, to tell you the truth, I don't feel reviews on either one would do much good. Even ignoring the fact that freeware releases are shrinking, I doubt anyone with a particular thirst for freeware is going to come to a barely active forum on an inactive website looking for new stuff. In addition, there are freeware sites out there that are actually active and have the additional perk of being mostly autonomous or community driven, such as Gamejolt and YoYoGames, places whose games are uploaded by users with minimal curation from staff--where only truly low quality or offensive things are removed. They also have the resources to hire and replace staff, something that Caiman doesn't have and would be difficult to get at this point.

I think at this juncture, it's better to look at Caiman for what it was and is. When it was active, it was one of the better places to get freeware games due to each one being hand picked and hand reviewed. Now it serves as a great little archive and sort of time capsule. I'm not sure how much longer Ibo plans to keep the website up, but I hope it's for a long time coming. When this place finally shuts down, it's going to be a great loss.

That having been said, I would love to eat my words on this. I want this place to be active again, even if I don't think I could spare the time to be an administrator for it anymore.

Terex77
Frequent visitor

Postby Terex77 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:27 am

You can Thank Steam or Major publishers killing freeware/public domain games for the most part also copyright laws the way are now
i personally think that after Rudy died of cancer few years ago the forum just fell a part because...
No one i mean no one Can live up to Rudy's legacy that he left behind
He was Major Influence to us all
I really hope Caiman.us or this forum doesn't become bankrupt or defunct in the next decade
Were basically on a ticking clock until Ibo decides the fate of the main site and this forum
if I go with the latter
The Faith Of Caiman and This forum is Grim
because what happen to a old forum that i used to visit that visit income wasn't paying forum and closed in 2014 due a lost of major site activity it was only a 2 year old forum
Pretty much visit activity took a major drop after Rudy died and most people move on to bigger and better things(such facebook and the like)
with Lets Play now being popularity and youtube being a household name things arnt what used to be
May Rudy legacy live on RIP good buddy

Return to “General posts about games”