Blockster Review

Postby Namo » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:04 pm

Blockster
by 11Clock
Genre: Platform/Side Scolling Action
Platform: Windows
Rating: 67%

Super Minimalistic Brothers

"Blockster is a basic platform game that shows you don't need much to make a good game. The idea of the game came from 11clock's never-released game Blocky, a tutorial edit."
Imitation is called the sincerest form of flattery. It takes something and does everything that thing does, and does it the same. This time around, its in a simplified form and fashion - Simple Goal, Simple Graphics, and Simple Music.

Let's start with the goal - The purpose is straightforward; simply make it to the end of the level, squashing enemies in your wake, figuring out simple puzzles, etc. There are 7 worlds in this game, each with 3 levels and a boss. Every few bosses killed, you get a new ability, such as the block throw - consider it your hammer-bro suit.

The graphics, if not obvious given the title, is entirely of squares. Flat shaded squares. Square tiles, square character, square everything. There's nothing too eye catching about the graphics, really.

The music and sound wasn't too impressive, but it wasn't bad in any respects. Sure, the use of Midi is a downer, but each song is rather nice, and in many cases, fitting of the world - the Desert level had a nice egyptian track, and the cave had a spooky track, for instance. Nothing really catchy, but nice nonetheless.

The Controls are nice and easy - Arrow Keys walk and jump, and you press other keys to use abilities. The controls are tight and responsive, save for the jumping - you've got a fixed jump height here.

The level design was alright. Some ideas left a bad taste in my mouth - such as a cave level where you have a limited field of vision, no variable jump height, and pitfalls to avoid - but otherwise, no complaints.

The story is simple, not that it's an important factor. A dark glowing square appears, destroys everything and everyone, but leaves one square left - you. That makes the goal rather apparent.

Aside from all this, nothing really stands out in Blockster - there's no score, time limit, lives - it's just a nice easy game. You can take your time and relax with this game - there's no pressure here.

Recap:
Take Super Mario Bros and tone it down, and you get Blockster. It's not a bad game by any means, but it's nothing memorable.

Nicholas
Site Admin
Are you a spam bot?: NO

Re: Blockster Review

Postby Nicholas » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:26 am

Good review. You forgot a small thing though...download link :eyebrows:
Nyphoon

R.I.P Rudy. You will always remain in our hearts and prayers.

Dev
Site Admin

Postby Dev » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:45 pm

Namo
Site Admin

Postby Namo » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:28 am

While it's not the best game I've ever played, it's still a little fun, and I think it should go up on the site. Approved.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:58 am

Good game for a new game maker. Approved.
Nyphoon

R.I.P Rudy. You will always remain in our hearts and prayers.

Return to “Game reviews”