Contest rules

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Rudy
Caiman Moderator

Contest rules

Postby Rudy » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:17 am

A mini contest

Rules

1. Theme = caiman (crocodile)
Platformers, adventures, puzzle games etc.. are very welcome!
Please: no pacman like clones, no tetris/column games!

2. Installers are forbidden
The use of installers, install shield and so are forbidden. Only a ZIP file containing all files + dll's needed for the game are permitted.

3. Max. size is 25 MB zipped

4. The alpha version has to be entered before August 1st
Without an alpha version, your game will not count for this contest!
We do that because old games are forbidden and because we want to see your game growing ;)
This also will enable the judges and other competitors to help you finetune your game and warn you when there is something wrong with it.

5. The deadline of the contest is September 1st
There will be no delay at all, so be careful!

6. The results will be shown on September 15th

7. No sexual, no violent contents will be accepted
Some blood is accepted. Extremely bloody scenes will be refused.

8. 3D Game Maker games will be rated at 90%
This is because it's not fair to the people who create their games from scratch.

9. The game must be a new one and freeware
This means that no copyrighted stuff as Super Mario, Sonic, etc characters will be accepted.
Also be careful with the music and don't steal game engines from someone else!
The entries may not have been started before March 20st, 2008.

10. The game has to run on a Windows XP platform

11. The main language of the game must be English

12. You have to be registered in this forum
People who don't post on their own preview threads will be disqualified. In the previous contest we had to refuse many games, because the author didn't read the rules and the remarks of our judges. Therefore we added this rule and hope that this time we won't have to refuse an entry just because they made an installer or something like that.

13. The game may not connect to the internet without asking permission of the gamer

14. Unlimited number of entries per author
But only the best scored entry will go for a prize (no more than one prize per author)

15. You may not enter the same game in two caiman contests at once

16. All games must have been started on or after March 20th, 2008 to be eligible for a prize.

extra notes

1. You may publish the game on your own sites, other forums, etc..

2. Cheats and passwords to help the judges are very welcome

3. Please, do not email us, but use the forum instead!!!

Prizes: (in US dollars)
FIRST PRIZE = $200
Second prize = $100
Third prize = $50
The winner of the 4th place may choose the theme for the next mini contest ;)

(Only finished games can win a prize)

note:
You don't have to give your address or bank account number before the contest is over ;) Just start a thread with your game title + your nickname or tell us in "Entries" that you will enter the contest and we will start a thread for you.

Enjoy!!! :ooh: :ooh: :ooh:

frca
Are you a spam bot?: NO

Re: Contest rules

Postby frca » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:07 am

Hi Rudy!
What about the judging method? It should be clear now, how exactly the games will be judged.
You are asking, what difference it will make? I think a lot. Because correctly set judging method won't allow results to be too close (which is definitely bad).
Thanks in advance,
frca

Rudy
Caiman Moderator

Postby Rudy » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:11 am

Make a proposal, buddy ;) :D

frca

Postby frca » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:29 am

I was thinking about the points dividing thing:

You judge let's say 6 games ;)
So you get 60 points as a judge. And you have to split those points between those 6 games, for example:

game1: 20
game2: 11
game3: 10
game4: 9
game5: 5
game6: 5

Which is still 60 total

And the rule no. 2: Only integer points values, so no 2.5 etc. - that would make the results close.
Of course judges could give every game 10 points, but I believe they would be responsible and show their own preference.

Edit: And i've forgotten: When a judge doesn't want to judge certain game, he gets just 50 points (when judging 5 games).
The results of the judging is just modus of all given points to the certain game.

Rudy
Caiman Moderator

Postby Rudy » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:29 am

Sounds great to me! :pals:
I will tell the judges to use your system ;)

Genetix
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Genetix » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:14 pm

I have something to ask: :tongue:
Can we release our games tomorrow or are we supposed to release the game before the deadline day ?

Rudy
Caiman Moderator

Postby Rudy » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:19 pm

Tomorrow evening (or night) is fine ;) :D

Genetix

Postby Genetix » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:46 pm

That's great news !
Thanks Rudy ! :D

frca

Postby frca » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:10 pm

Just one more note: Results by each judge should be released on the same date and time, so others are not influenced by the results of someone else. Ideally the results should be PMed to Rudy and he would reveal them all at once at the end of the competition... This approach is the most fair IMHO.
The results are not to be discussed after all as they are the subjective opinions of the judges. Or they can be discussed of course, but only after the end of the competition.

All I want is that judges are not influenced by other's opinions. We want to see their own uninfluenced opinions, don't we? I hope the approach I proposed won't be a big problem.

What do you think?

Rudy
Caiman Moderator

Postby Rudy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:31 pm

I agree ;) :pals:

Return to “Caiman Crocodile Contest”