Firewall corrupting my zips?

Discuss computers and technology here.
LavaWave
Global moderator
Are you a spam bot?: NO

Firewall corrupting my zips?

Postby LavaWave » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:31 pm

Is this true?

That my firewall is corrupting my zips? I mean I do a test with 7zip and it say's it has no errors if I turn off firewall (OK it does say it has errors when it does have errors) but if I turn it on and test that same zip there will be a higher chance it say's it's corrupted/broken

Is it true that firewall could corrupt certain files? if so then how can I make my firewall stop blocking or whatever it does with these files? :angry:

Maybe it's not firewall but from the experiment I made it made me think so, Please put some light on this

I have Windows Vista x64 Ultimate edition SP1.

Rudy
Caiman Moderator

Re: Firewall corrupting my zips?

Postby Rudy » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:45 pm

It seems a firewall do can corrupt zip files :(

I googled for your problem and found many people with similar problems. eg. "The Nvidia firewall is known to corrupt downloads and cause general problems", "A mate has an NForce4 board(ASUS A8N-SLI) that corrupts downloads if he has the hardware firewall enabled.", "Sygate personal firewall pro corrupts any downlaods i do unless i set it to allow all.", and so on ...
:(

LavaWave
Global moderator

Postby LavaWave » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:34 pm

Nope my prob is different, The zip is already downloaded and when I tested it without firewall opened I haven't gotten an error but when I open firewall it said corrupted zip.

It does say it's corrupted even if firewall is off but not as often as it was on and that only if it really is corrupted.

Namo
Site Admin

Postby Namo » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:53 pm

Huh, thats bizzare. Maybe some codec for checking your zips is blocked by your firewall. (Not the program for zips itself, but a seperate code). But I never had that problem when I had 7-zip.

The compression Soft I use is Izarc. Its got the same layout as Winrar, and compresses stuff really fast. Its free, and has support for nearly every kind of compression file, from arc to iso to zip to rar.

Rudy
Caiman Moderator

Postby Rudy » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Sometimes 7z, winzip or Ultimatezip says a zip file is corrupt, but programs as winrar and so do can open it without problems. Mostly something to do with strange languages (strange characters in the filenames). Therefore I use more than one zip program ;)

Namo
Site Admin

Postby Namo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:37 pm

Oh I've noticed that too. When ever I try to extract a zip with Japanese characters, it always fails, but when I rename it, it works fine.

Return to “TECH DISCUSSION”