Woah, one day my computer just... sucked >>

Discuss computers and technology here.
ClaytonPoweredUp
Caiman Moderator
Are you a spam bot?: NO

Woah, one day my computer just... sucked >>

Postby ClaytonPoweredUp » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:42 am

Yeah, I'am not exactly sure what it was but it made my computer turn HORRIBLE... I can barely do anything but right now I'm on Grandmothers laptop which works much, MUCH better (IT WAS MY LAPTOP) But she needed it so we traded computers.

This computer thats giveing my problems WAS once an amazing computer, but now it takes 5 minutes to load something. Anyone know whats wrong with it? ):

Edit: Please don't sign your posts with your username - Namo
I wanna be the one who fights for justice, I wanna be the one who fights for whats right!

Namo
Site Admin

Re: Woah, one day my computer just... sucked >>

Postby Namo » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:22 am

There's three hypotheses that come to mind.

From personal experience, I know that a computer fan can suck up a lot of dust, which gets spread around the innards of the laptop. This not only slows down the processing speeds, but possibly the fan too, so cool air has a harder time getting to the very heated motherboard. You'll want to ask a professional or an adult to clean the dust out of the laptop, unless you feel you can do it yourself.

Secondly, sometimes automatic updates from windows can drastically slow down your computer if your system specifications can't support the update. I have a rather old 2006 computer running Windows XP Service Pack 3, which receives regular updates via the internet from Microsoft. A more recent update was designed for more recent computers; the update assumes you have enough RAM to support it. Needless to say, I don't have enough. So, if this is the case, you have two options: Buy some more RAM, or tone down and remove some unused components of Windows. If you're unsure how to do this, here's a guide: http://tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/supertweaks1.htm Also, before you buy RAM, make sure you consult a professional on the kind of RAM you can install.

Finally, it could be due to a virus, trojan, or other forms of malware. I recommend getting a free scan with PrevX - be warned, only the scanning is free, it will not remove the problem. You must either purchase a license or do it yourself.

--

If you are running Windows Vista or 7, that same website up there has a section for Vista/7 tweaking.

Dev
Site Admin

Postby Dev » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:49 am

Like Namo said it can be a lot of things.

Might be a good idea to check the health of your hard drive, speedfan can do that http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
Speedfan's S.M.A.R.T. tab will give you an indication if it's still alright. If it's not I would suggest backing up all you important data, cause when they go, they go quick.

I assume you have virus protection installed but if you're not running anti-spyware software, give that a go. I prefer spybot s&d myself but anything is better than none.

Just in case you are running ZoneAlarm as your firewall, I've had a right load of hassle with it. It worked fine for months, probably even years and just one day it started playing up, even causing my internet connection to drop. My other half had the same issue 2 months later. I've switched to comodo and installed pc tools firewall on my oh's lappy, cause she doesn't want complex firewalls.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:51 pm

Also, try cleaning up your desktop if it is too cluttered.
Nyphoon

R.I.P Rudy. You will always remain in our hearts and prayers.

ClaytonPoweredUp
Caiman Moderator

Postby ClaytonPoweredUp » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:07 am

Okay, I'll try some of those. Thanks!
I wanna be the one who fights for justice, I wanna be the one who fights for whats right!

Mugen9s
Global moderator

Postby Mugen9s » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:53 pm

the solution? Ubuntu!!
R.I.P Rudy. You will always remain in our hearts and prayers.

Return to “TECH DISCUSSION”