It's been quiet since Rudy passed away and despite efforts to figure out how the caiman.us web site can be updated, it's still a bit of a mystery.
We have taken on the task of developing a new front-end to the web site with input from Caiman and staff of the forum. We aim it be a modern and flexible site with the functionality you are used to with more to be added over time. The ultimate goal is to have a site that can be home to the whole Caiman community including visitors and authors but also reviewers.
I initially create a new site having most of the current functionality with basic administration to act as a demo for Ibo. After hearing some figures on how much traffic Caiman generates, I soon realised I need to have some caching strategy in place to cope with it all. You have to remember the current site is 90% static. The other thing is the advertisement space bought by the sponsors, limiting huge changes to the layout which I made. The old site will stay online because there are 1000's of sites linking to it's resources.
In this topic I will try and keep you updated on our progress and what we are working on at the moment:
- Move current caiman.us to linux box - Ibo
- Port incompatible scripts - Ibo
- Change demo site layout from 2 column to 3 column (ads) - Dev
- Implement page caching - Dev
- Migrate data from old database into new - Dev (pending Ibo sending database)
- Design/implement front page news/updates/announcements - Dev
Don't give up on us yet!
Dev, Ibo and the Caiman forum staff